Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 22: June 6

Eric grew up with movies and video games. He loves to come home and watch a movie. As for me, I grew up watching limited TV. I am not saying watching TV/Movies are bad, but I do want Hyrum to focus on using his imagination. I want Hyrum to grow up with less movies and to play outside. Hyrum is the type of kid where when you put a movie on, two things happen:

1) He would sit the entire movie and watch it, eyes glazed, mouth open, not aware of anything. Few movies produce this result. Wreck It Ralph definitely got his attention. So does Star Wars. He he :)

2) He gets bored fast. Hyrum figured out how to swipe our phones, click Netflix in our phone and press a movie he wants to watch. Then he would watch a movie for 5 minutes, then switch to a different movie. He jumps from movies to movies fast. He gets bored easily. With our TV, he often messes with the input or channel. So I just tell him if he does that, he doesn't get to watch a movie.



Now....I am trying hard to let him watch ONE or two movies a week. Yes a WEEK. I don't want him to watch movies all week or all day. I don't want to hear him say, "Movie....movie....movie..." all day. If I put our tiny TV in the closet, he throws temper tantrum. It's so ridiculous! So I am trying to keep him from watching movies all the time. I am not saying you are a bad parent or you shouldn't let your kids watch movies all the time. Each family has to decide what's best for them. It's something I'm used to since I grew up that way. So I'm passing along to my children. Eric has a harder time sticking to that rule, but we are trying haha.

As a result, Friday is movie night for  us. WE have pizza and a movie every Friday. Today I let Hyrum watch a Christian cartoons about the scriptures. But of course, he did try to change the channel so I told him no more movies for him. 

The cons of having this type of TV- you can never see the movies because Hyrum swings back and forth, blocking your view! And he likes to be close to the TV. Sigh. We're working on it. 



Little Lady A love to look at people. She's so content!




Too close, Buddy. Too close....

No comments:

Post a Comment